Help & support
Find answers to all your questions about applications, courses, programmes and more…
Simple steps to submitting your application online
The Harris Federation is committed to the highest levels of safeguarding and our academies follow strict safer recruitment guidelines. Our application checklist will help you navigate our online application processes correctly and prepare you for what to expect during the application and selection process.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties, or have questions, during the application and selection process, please refer to the relevant support sections before contacting us.
Found a position that interests you?
Search for new opportunities using the keyword, filters, or map view to find academy jobs located nearby. When you’re ready to start your application click ‘Apply Now’ to launch the application form.
You do not need to create a username or password to apply for jobs. If you have applied previously, you will be given the option to copy your applicatoon to help save time. You will be sent a unique code and link to use to populate the new application form.
Completing your application
The jobs advertised on our careers website will have specific criteria and requirements relevant to the position, which are detailed in the applicant pack for you to download. It's a good idea to download and save a copy of the applicant pack for use later.
For the protection of your data, applications must be made online via our careers website. We will not ask you for personal information relating to an application to be sent via email, or word document.
When completing your application, it’s important you complete all the required sections so we can assess whether you are suitable and eligible for the post. Before submitting an application, you will need to provide the following information:
- Personal details
- Full employment history
- Education history
- Qualifications, training and development
- Two referees
- Knowledge, skills and experience
- Diversity, equality & inclusion
- Data consent and safeguarding declarations
As part of the Knowledge, Skills and Experience section, we’ll ask a number of questions relevant to the position so we can understand more about you and your experience. It's important that you’re able to explain why you’re interested in the role, and how you meet the requirements detailed in the Job Description and Person Specification.
If you are successful at the shortlisting stage and invited to attend an interview, you will be required to provide some additional information for safeguarding.
Submitting your application
All jobs have a deadline of midnight on the date of closing, unless otherwise specified. You must make sure you submit your application before the closing date to ensure you are considered. We advise that you submit your application as soon as possible.
We can only consider those who submit a fully completed application online via our careers website, and we cannot accept applications based solely on a CV.
Once you submit an application, you’ll receive an email confirmation. If you have not received email confirmation, your application may not have been submitted. If you have not received an email, please check your junk or spam folders.
If you believe you have submitted an application but have not received an email within an hour, please get in touch with us and we will check whether your application has been submitted.
Your data is stored securely in line with our privacy notice and records retention policy.
Recruitment & Selection Process
The first step is finding the right opportunity. You can search all our current vacancies and you must apply online. Make sure you match your skills and experience with the role and academy that’s right for you.
To find out more about the role, visits to academies and informal conversations are encouraged to help you learn more about what’s required. If you have any questions, or to arrange a conversation with the Principal/Line Manager, you should contact the academy via email to arrange directly.
Use the Knowledge, Skills and Experience section to highlight your achievements and how your experience best suits the role.
- Align your skills, qualifications and experience with the job description and person specification.
- If you've held a leadership role, or key responsibilities, tell us about it.
- Be specific about responsibilities relevant to the position, reference projects you’ve managed or initiatives you’ve been part of.
- If you're a recent university graduate or have limited work experience, include school-related projects or coursework that demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge.
- Keep it short and concise by talking about experience and skills relevant to the position, and which show your potential and attributes for the role.
Evaluation and Shortlisting
Once a job has closed, applications are typically reviewed within 72 hours. When shortlisting is complete you will receive an email to notify if your application has been successful or unsuccessful.
Due to the number of applications received, we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications before an interview has taken place.
If shortlisted for interview, you will be asked to confirm that you’re still interested and available to attend the interview day, interview dates are typically stated in the advert, but if not, you will be asked to state your availability within a specified time period. If you no longer wish for your application to be considered, please let us know via email as soon as possible as late withdrawals can be very disruptive for an academy.
Once your attendance is confirmed you’ll receive a schedule of the day including date and time, location, who to ask for on arrival, interview panel members and the details of any task or presentation required as part of the interview process.
- Before you attend the interview, and in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance, your referees will be contacted with a request for references.
- You will be required to bring a completed criminal convictions self-declaration form to your interview. The signed form must be sealed in an envelope and handed to the interview panel on arrival.
- Any travel expenses incurred as part of your travel to and from the interview day will not be reimbursed, unless otherwise agreed by a Principal prior to the interview taking place.
Depending on the type of role, we may hold a 2nd interview stage with additional department/team members, or ask you to complete a presentation or task.
If successful, you will receive a conditional verbal offer directly from the Principal, or Department Head/Line Manager. Depending on the type of role, you can expect to receive a conditional verbal offer either on the day of your interview, or by telephone within 48 hours.
Once you have accepted, you will receive an offer letter to sign and return, and you will be contacted to start our onboarding process of pre-employment checks. You can expect to receive your contract once all these checks are complete. This may be near to, or on your first day of employment at Harris.
In the event that you are successful at interview, we will require further information from you. During this process you will be contacted by the academy, or our central team, who will invite you in for a meeting to carry out the pre employment checks face to face.
All offers of employment are subject to confirmation of:
- Two satisfactory references - references are typically requested prior to the interview taking place. Where you have specifically indicated that you have not given consent to contact a referee prior to interview then the reference will only be requested if you are successful at interview.
- Right to work in the UK
- Barred List and Enhanced DBS Clearance
- Pre-Employment Health Clearance
- Qualifications - original copies of qualifications which you have declared as part of your application and which are an essential requirement for the role.
- Disqualification and Disqualification by Association Clearance (if appropriate)
- Certificate of Good Conduct (if appropriate)
- Prohibition Order Clearance (if appropriate)
- Full clean driving licence (only applicable to posts that require driving)
- A utilities bill dated within the last 3 months or other form of verification of your current address.
If you have any questions relating to an offer of employment, please ensure you contact the relevant member of staff in HR.
Your First Day
In the lead up to starting with Harris, you will receive further instructions and information to help you prepare and settle on your first day. When you start, you’ll be welcomed by colleagues and can expect your induction day shortly after you’re joined.
If you have not yet received your contract of employment, this will be ready and waiting for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions that may help with your job application.
How do I apply?
All applications made to positions within the Harris Federation must be made via the Harris Careers portal. You do not need to create a username or password, but if you wish to save an application to return to at a later date, you will be sent a secure link and unique code in two separate emails. Once generated, you can use the link and code multiple times to return to your application.
You can use the website search filters or keyword option to find relevant opportunities within the Harris Federation.
Once you have found a position you are interested in, simply click on 'Apply Now' on the right hand side of the relevant job.
Once you have completed the sections required, you can submit your application.
When should I apply?
Application deadlines vary by academy and position. Please make sure you complete your application ahead of the specified closing date so we can ensure your application is considered.
Some academies may request that applications be submitted by a specific time of day. Please be aware of this and submit your application accordingly.
Please note: academies may choose to interview as and when suitable applications are received, and may appoint a candidate and close the job before the advertised deadline without notice. In this situation, you will still be able to access and amend your application form, but you will not be able to submit it. With this in mind, you should ensure that you submit your application as soon as possible after seeing the advertisement.
I am an overseas applicant. Do I require a visa before I apply?
You are free to apply to any academy or position of interest and we will consider your application(s).
We cannot advise you on your work eligibility status, but we do not reject any candidate because of their need to obtain appropriate work permit/visa. Please be aware that any offer of employment will be subject to the relevant DBS, Identification and Reference Checks prior to your start date with us.
If you are making an application from overseas, please refer to the links below for information on UK visa requirements and guidance on how to get one:
What information do I have to provide in the application form?
Our quick and easy application form contains the following sections:
- Personal information (including contact details)
- Your current or most recent employment, including details of QTS and information on your school for teaching and leadership roles
- Employment history (you must complete a full employment history, and will be asked at interview to provide an explanation for any gaps in employment of longer than one month)
- Education, qualifications, and training and development history
- Referees (you must provide two referees, one of whom must be your current/most recent employer)
- Supporting statement outlining how your knowledge, skills and experience are relevant to the role
- Equality and diversity monitoring information
- Privacy and safeguarding declarations
You will also have the option to add a video response to a question, and to attach a CV or cover letter.
Can I apply with a CV or cover letter?
No. The Harris Federation does not accept applications made solely with a CV. Cover letters and CVs can be used to support your fully completed application form, which must also include a supporting statement.
Why can't I upload my CV?
Please note that it is not compulsory to upload a CV to accompany your application form, and you will be at no disadvantage if you choose not to do so.
What happens once I have made an initial application?
Once you have applied for a position through the Harris Federation careers site, you will receive an automatic email confirming receipt of your application. We may request further information to support this application. Please be aware of application deadlines if you decide not to complete your application in one session.
Do I have to complete my application in one session?
No. Once you have saved your application and received the two emails with your secure link and unique code, you can use these to return to your application at any time.
Please note: if you have not received an email or unique code, your application has not been saved and you will not be able to return to it. We recommend that you save your application as early as possible in the process.
To minimise the risk of losing your information, do not close your window until you have received both emails.
Remember to check your junk or spam email folders if you do not receive the emails. If you are certain they have not come through, contact the talent and resourcing team on email@example.com or 0208 253 7777.
Where can I find a copy of my application form?
Your application form will be emailed to you as a PDF when you receive your confirmation email. If you do not receive this, please get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 253 7777.
Can I apply to multiple academies and positions?
Yes. You can apply to as many academies and positions as you wish.
When applying for positions, please review the advert, job description and person specification, where available, to confirm you have the required experience. The number of positions and academies you apply for will not impact our selection process, but limiting the number of applications at one time helps us understand what you are interested in.
While it is possible to copy your application from a previous application, you should ensure your Knowledge, Skills and Experience section is tailored to the position you are applying for.
You should be clear as to why you are interested and your motivations for applying to different positions and academies. This should be outlined in your supporting statement and must be pertinent to each position and academy you apply to.
Do I need a degree to apply to the Harris Graduate and ITE Programmes?
We are constantly looking to recruit talented people from all academic backgrounds for both Teaching and Non-Teaching positions within the Federation. When applying for an ITE place or as a Teaching Assistant, you must have:
- A UK undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- A standard equivalent to a grade C in the GCSE examinations in English and maths.
- A standard equivalent to a grade C in the GCSE examination in a science subject if you intend to train to teach at Primary level.
Who should my referees be and when will you contact them?
As part of our application process, you must provide the details of two referees. One of these referees MUST be your current or most recent employer. Your second reference can be a past employer, or any character reference provided by somebody who is not related to you.
A standard part of our recruitment process is to request references prior to interview. If you do not want your referee(s) to be contacted prior to interview, please make sure you state this where prompted in your application.
What if I have previously applied to a position or academy?
Your application history is stored in your candidate record, and if you wish to re-apply to a position or academy, you can copy details from a past application. However, please make sure your details are correct and up to date when submitting applications.
How do I know if you've received my application?
Once you have submitted your application, you will see a confirmation screen saying "Thank you. We have received your application." to confirm that it has been completed.
You will also receive a confirmation email with the subject "Application Submitted. Thanks for your interest in working with us".
If you are experiencing problems, please get in touch with us on email@example.com or 0208 253 7777.
Please note that a full application form must be submitted before the deadline for that specific vacancy for your application to be valid.
When can I expect to hear whether my application has been successful or not?
Once you have submitted an application, you will receive an email confirming this. Once the closing date has passed, we will shortlist successful candidates and contact you directly to arrange interviews. We may also request further information to support your application prior to any interviews.
If you apply for a job through the careers portal, you will be notified whether or not you are shortlisted for interview.
Please be aware the during school holidays, waiting times may be slightly longer.
What should I do if I've made a mistake in my application?
Once a specific application has been submitted, you will not be able to access the application to make changes. Please ensure that you check through your application thoroughly for any mistakes before pressing submit.
If there is a critical error on your application form, such as an incorrect phone number or email address, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 253 7777 and we will pass on this information to the hiring team.
Can I withdraw my application?
Yes. Please contact the academy directly, or the careers team on email@example.com or 0208 253 7777.
Will my details be saved for future applications?
If you have previously applied for a position through the careers website, your details will be stored securely to make any future applications much quicker.
Each job vacancy you apply to will have its own application form for you to submit. We strongly advise that you review and update any relevant sections of your application before making multiple academy submissions.
How can I tell if a Harris Federation job is genuine?
When you are applying for a genuine job with the Harris Federation:
- You will always be contacted from a Harris Federation email address – never a webmail account such as Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail.
- You should always be suspicious of adverts with very poor spelling and grammar.
- You will always be asked to complete an online application form through our careers portal.
- You will never be asked for payments for visa processing, administration fees or accommodation deposits.
- You will never be asked for your bank details or personal identification documentation before we have made a formal offer of employment.
- We will never make a formal offer of employment without at least one face-to-face interview. This will be held at one of our academies or at the Harris Federation head office at Norfolk House, Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR0 1LH.
- You will always be asked to sign a hard copy of your offer of employment, which will be sent to you on Harris Federation headed paper.
Technical Support - Help with your account
We use a third party technology partner who provides the system we use to help manage our centralised hiring process. If you experience any technical difficulties with your account, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 253 7777 and we will raise the issue.
Teachers (up to and including Deputy Headteachers/Vice Principals)
|Desired Start Date||Resignation Deadline|
|Autumn Term (September)||31st May|
|Spring Term (January)||31st October|
|Summer Term (April/May)||28th/29th February|
Headteachers/Principals (and above)
|Desired Start Date||Resignation Deadline|
|Autumn Term (September)||30th April|
|Spring Term (January)||30th September|
|Summer Term (April/May)||31st January|