What we are talking about...
Midweek Spotlight: Chobham Academy Rss
Posted on: March 24th 2020
Our midweek spotlight is on Chobham Academy. If you are a teacher or aspiring leader looking for your next opportunity to thrive and develop, Chobham Academy has an unrivalled reputation for shaping the next leaders in Education. With a bustling school community and a state of the art, purpose-built building, learners and teachers are able to reach their aspirations in a supportive, committed environment.
Chobham Academy opened in 2013 as part of the highly successful Harris Federation, a multi academy trust with nearly 50 academies in London. Our 3-18 ‘all-through’ Academy is a world class educational legacy of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Situated within the East Village complex in Stratford, Chobham serves a new community of 3000 homes along with established communities in Newham. In July 2015, Chobham was graded as Outstanding in every category by Ofsted.
A community building together
The academy is very fortunate to have superb transport links making Stratford one of the most easily accessible parts of London. Chobham Academy is 15 minutes’ walk from Stratford underground station (10 minutes into the City of London on the Central Line) and five minutes’ walk from Stratford International station (a six-minute journey from St. Pancras). There is also a DLR station at Stratford International.
Chobham is a vibrant, culturally diverse and happy inner-city community. Our students come from a wide range of backgrounds bringing with them a breadth of talents and experiences. Chobham students are friendly, welcoming and eager to learn. They are ambitious to make the most of their abilities both at school and beyond. Our students have enormous potential and respond enthusiastically to their teachers.
Join a network of diverse practitioners
At Chobham Academy, we have a fantastic staff team with a great blend of youth and experience. Chobham staff are committed to our students and to supporting and learning from one another. There is an outstanding professional development programme across the Harris Federation and our staff benefit from both in house and inter-school training activities. We also have additional expertise on hand from the Harris Consultancy Team who are available to offer guidance across the curriculum.
One of our biggest professional development opportunities comes by virtue of being an all through school. Staff across the primary and secondary phases at Chobham are able to observe and learn from each other. This is invaluable experience at a time when the number of all through schools across the country is growing fast.
As part of the Harris Federation Chobham can also offer a range of benefits. Teaching staff receive a Harris Allowance of £2,000 per annum in addition to their annual salary, and benefit from a two-week half term in the autumn term.
We do hope that you apply for a role with us and look forward to meeting you.
A message from the Principal, Michael Whitworth.
Chobham Academy is always on the lookout for inspirational and influential staff. Most of all, we look for potential staff who enjoy working with our students and want to help them succeed.
We understand that if staff are to give their best to our students over a sustained period of time, then the school needs to provide them with the best deal possible. We want our staff team to be well motivated and well looked after. If your time at Chobham is to be happy, then it needs to be rewarding and professionally fulfilling.
In order to help our staff have the best possible experience and achieve a proper work- life balance, we have put into place a range of measures to benefit both our teaching and students services colleagues. These include:
- An extra week of holiday for all Chobham staff. This takes the form of a two-week half term in October. We work fewer days than most other schools.
- Outstanding professional development both at Chobham and through the wider Harris Federation
- Excellent promotion opportunities
- A constant dialogue about workload and how to manage it most effectively. We have regular workload audits, an active and vocal staff committee and frequent campaigns to tackle unnecessary work and identify quick wins
- Rapid and effective support with any student behavioural issues arising
- A high-quality staff induction programme
- Marking protocols devised by departments themselves
- Manageable and flexible lesson planning expectations
- Clear communications and manageable deadlines. We only ask staff to do what is necessary and avoid complication and confusion. Chobham is an exceptionally well-run school
- Learning walks rather than formal lesson observations. These are not graded
- Nursery on site
- Flexible and part time working encouraged whenever possible
- Additional time for leadership responsibilities
- Focus on effective outcomes rather than time spent
- High levels of administrative support for all teachers
- Ongoing celebration of staff excellence
What kind of people are we looking for?
- First and foremost, you must like working with children and be good at it
- You must be highly skilled in the role you are applying for or else willing and able to learn in post
- You must show a passion for education and improving the life chances of London children
- You should be willing to contribute to the wider life of the Academy (running clubs, attending events)
- You should be highly motivated, like working as part of a team and possess excellent communication skills
- You must hold appropriate qualifications for the role you are applying for
At Chobham, we regard staff wellbeing as being central to the school’s purpose and to its success. Our desire to offer an outstanding wellbeing programme is part of our deep desire to help all colleagues feel happy and valued at Chobham.